EFCore not possible to find any compatible framework version

Viewed 2933

I created a new simple net5.0 + EFCore project, but after trying to run dotnet ef update --project DAL I am getting an obscure error:

>dotnet ef update --project DAL
...
It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
The framework 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '2.0.0' was not found.
  - The following frameworks were found:
      3.1.12 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]
      5.0.3 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]
...

Even though, I am not using the .NETCore 2.0.0 in the specified project, but rather the net5.0 as shown in the DAL.csproj:

<Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk">

    <PropertyGroup>
        <TargetFramework>net5.0</TargetFramework>
        <PlatformTarget>AnyCPU</PlatformTarget>
    </PropertyGroup>

    <ItemGroup>
      <PackageReference Include="Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore" Version="5.0.5" />
    </ItemGroup>

</Project>

I also tried to run the update with --framework net5.0, but with no difference. What setting am I missing to convince dotnet ef to use correct framework. (BTW. I am using the Rider, not VS), but I do not thing this matters.

3 Answers

I was in the exactly same situation as you and solved my problem by adding the Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Design package to the project.

For me I had this problem when trying to create a Migration, my CLI tool was old, updating it solved the problem:

dotnet tool update --global dotnet-ef

After that my command works:

dotnet ef migrations add InitialSchema

Try to check the start-up project, and it must have the Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Design package it worked for me

Related