How To Install and Use git-sizer for Windows (Github, VS Code)

Viewed 620

I have a really large project I want to upload. I am the author of below question.

Git Push remote: fatal: pack exceeds maximum allowed size

So following this person's guidance, I want to install git-sizer on my repository and use it.

https://github.com/github/git-sizer

Here are the steps I took so far:

  1. Installed golang on Windows using the installer https://golang.org/doc/install

  2. Followed instructions on github page and put in windows cmd:

    go get github.com/github/git-sizer

  3. This downloaded a bin folder and pkg folder to my directory. In the bin folder I see git-sizer.exe

  4. Now the instructions on Github say "Either add $GOPATH/bin to your PATH, or copy the executable file (git-sizer or git-sizer.exe) to a directory that is already in your PATH."

I apologize, but what does this mean??? I want to use git-sizer on Visual Studio Code. I tried google searching and also searching on YouTube how to use this. I have git-bash installed on Visual Studio Code.

I'm utterly confused and feel helpless. My English is fine, but I don't understand these instructions. Maybe it's because I don't know Go or because I'm weak in this area.

Could someone please tell me what to do in order to use this tool on Windows + VS Code with git bash installed? In a simple manner that I can follow?

Thanks

1 Answers

You should not need to use Go in order to benefit from git-sizer

As stated in "Getting Started"

That way, no need to build from source. You can start using it right away.

Related