I'm trying to unit testing a service that handles the registration of a user in Laravel.
This is the service:
public function completeRegistration(Collection $data)
{
$code = $data->get('code');
$registerToken = $this->fetchRegisterToken($code);
DB::beginTransaction();
$registerToken->update(['used_at' => Carbon::now()]);
$user = $this->userRepository->update($data, $registerToken->user);
$token = $user->createToken(self::DEFAULT_TOKEN_NAME);
DB::commit();
return [
'user' => $user,
'token' => $token->plainTextToken,
];
}
Where the update method has the following signature:
<?php
namespace App\Repositories\User;
use App\Models\User;
use Illuminate\Pagination\LengthAwarePaginator;
use Illuminate\Support\Collection;
interface UserRepositoryInterface
{
public function create(Collection $data): User;
public function update(Collection $data, User $user): User;
}
With my test being:
/**
* Test a user can register
*
* @return void
*/
public function test_user_can_complete_registration()
{
$userRepositoryMock = Mockery::mock(UserRepositoryInterface::class);
$registerTokenRepositoryMock = Mockery::mock(RegisterTokenRepository::class);
$userFactory = User::factory()->make();
$registerTokenFactory = RegisterToken::factory()
->for($userFactory)
->timestamped()
->make(['user_id' => $userFactory->id]);
dd($registerTokenFactory->user);
$userRepositoryMock
->expects($this->any())
->once()
->andReturn($userFactory);
....
}
When I run phpunit --filter=test_user_can_complete_registration I get the following error:
1) Tests\Unit\Services\Auth\AuthServiceTest::test_user_can_complete_registration
TypeError: Argument 2 passed to Mockery_0_App_Repositories_User_UserRepositoryInterface::update() must be an instance of App\Models\User, null given, called in /var/www/app/Services/Auth/AuthService.php on line 64
/var/www/app/Services/Auth/AuthService.php:64
/var/www/tests/Unit/Services/Auth/AuthServiceTest.php:88
This tells me that the user relationship on $registerTokenFactory is null. When I do:
public function test_user_can_complete_registration()
{
...
dd($registerTokenFactory->user);
}
I get the output null. I'm trying to test the service without hitting the database. How can I attach the user relationship to the $registerTokenFactory object? I have tried using for and trying to attach directly:
$registerTokenFactory = RegisterToken::factory()
->for($userFactory)
->timestamped()
->make(['user_id' => $userFactory->id, 'user' => $userFactory]);