Setup: I'm using Google Cloud Platform's managed Postgres 13 instance, which is a fresh install with no existing tables or users (expect for the postgres admin).
Goal: I want to create a new database called my_db and have two new users steve and mike be able to execute DDL and DML commands on future tables (e.g., create new tables, insert data, read, etc). This also means steve and mike should be able to modify and read/write each other's tables.
Problem: Even when I create the users and set the default privileges in schema public grant all to tables in my_db only the creator (steve) of the new table can read/write the table while mike cannot. Furthermore, even the postgres admin cannot read the new table!
Steps: How to recreate
- First I'll create the new database and users, plus give them lenient permissions to alter/read/write future tables in
my_db.
-- Logged in as user = postgres (Connection 1)
\c postgres
create database my_db;
-- connect to my_db and create the new users
\c my_db
-- steve user
CREATE USER steve WITH PASSWORD 'pass123';
GRANT connect ON DATABASE my_db TO steve;
alter default privileges in schema public grant all on tables to steve;
-- mike user
CREATE USER mike WITH PASSWORD 'pass456';
GRANT connect ON DATABASE my_db TO mike;
alter default privileges in schema public grant all on tables to mike;
If my understanding is correct, steve and mike can now create and modify tables in my_db. Let's test this.
- Then login as
stevein a new connection #2 and create a new test table:
-- Logged in as user = steve (Connection 2)
\c my_db
create table test_tbl ( id int4 ); -- success
select * from test_tbl; -- 0 records
- Now let's see if
mikecan read from thetest_tblwhich he should given the default privileges. We create connection #3 formike:
-- Logged in as user = mike (Connection 3)
\c my_db
select * from test_tbl; -- ERROR: steve does not have permissions to read test_tbl!
This is my first point of confusion as I thought default permissions would let mike read the test_tbl created by steve.
- As a final oddity I decided to circle back to the
postgresuser to test readingtest_tbl:
-- Logged in as user = postgres (Connection 1)
\c my_db
select * from test_tbl; -- ERROR: steve does not have permissions to read test_tbl!
GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, delete ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA public TO mike; -- same error above!
So not even the admin user postgres can read this new table NOR can I grant permissions...
- The only thing that worked is logging back in as
steve--the original table creator--and grantingpostgresandmikepermissions:
-- Logged in as user = steve (Connection 2)
\c my_db
GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, delete ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA public TO postgres; -- success
GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, delete ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA public TO mike; -- success
This all seems backwards. The default privileges in schema public grant all should take care of allowing users to modify future tables, right? What am I missing?
Thanks in advance.