Setting upstream branch in git: branch does not exist

Viewed 1204

I am using Git to push several branches into one already existing (including the branches) remote repo on my company's GitLab. The branches in the remote only contain a README.md. All branches have not been versioned with Git yet which is why I use the following commands to push them to their remote locations:

Git Version: 2.31.1.windows.1 (git bash)

cd branchx
git init -b branchx
git remote add origin git@my.company.com:project-group/repo.git

# this is the problematic line:
git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/branchx

git pull --allow-unrelated-histories (to pull the README.md)
git add .
git commit -m "Initial commit"
git push -u origin branchx

This worked like a charm for my first branch. However, when I try to set the upstream branch for another branch (in another folder, where x in branchx is a number) with

git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/branchx

I get the error

fatal: branch 'branchx' does not exist

However, if I type in git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/ and double-tab, I can see the exact origin/branchx I am trying to set as upstream there.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?

0 Answers
Related