Candlestick chart add_trace(mode="markers") gives wrong output

Viewed 1239

I'm currently building a financial dashboard with dash and plotly. I added the following candlestick chart to my dashboard:

    candlestick_chart = go.Figure(data=[go.Candlestick(x=financial_data["Date"],
                                     open=financial_data['Open'],
                                     high=financial_data['High'],
                                     low=financial_data['Low'],
                                     close=financial_data['Close'])])

Which returns the expected result: enter image description here

I would like to be able to highlight specific candlesticks (e.g. with a marker)

I tried to achieve this with the add_trace function and the following code:

    candlestick_chart.add_trace(
    go.Scatter(
        x=["2020-07-01"],
        y=["350"],
        mode="markers",
        marker=dict(symbol="6")

    )
)

But this ruins the chart.

enter image description here

Why does that happen? How can I fix this?

EDIT: ADDED DATASOURCE

I got the data from https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SPY/history?p=SPY with Time period set to max.

I parsed the data the following way:

    start = "2000-01-01"
end = "2021-01-01"

# Get a pandas dataframe
datapath = ('D:\\Programmieren\\trading_bot\\etf_data\\SPY.csv')

financial_data = pd.read_csv(datapath,
                             parse_dates=True,
                             index_col=0)

financial_data= financial_data.loc[start:end]
# Process data
financial_data = financial_data["2020-06-01":"2021-01-01"]

financial_data.reset_index(inplace=True)

EDIT2: SYSTEM AND VERSIONS

My packages have the following versions:

print(pd.__version__) # 1.2.3
print(plotly.__version__) # 4.14.3

And I am working with:

  • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
  • Python 3.9
  • Python 3.8 doesn't work either
2 Answers

This could be regarded as a version issue, but the core problem is that you've defined your y-value as a list of strings with ["350"] instead of a number like [350] in:

go.Scatter(
        x=["2020-07-01"],
        y=["350"],
        mode="markers",
        marker=dict(symbol="6")

    )
)

Different versions of plotly seem to handle this differently. Simply remove the quotation marks to let Plotly interpret the value as a number instead to produce this:

enter image description here

Complete code with sample data

import plotly.graph_objects as go
from plotly.subplots import make_subplots
import pandas as pd

# data
df = pd.read_csv('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/plotly/datasets/master/finance-charts-apple.csv')
df=df.tail(10)

# set up figure with values not high and not low
# include candlestick with rangeselector
fig = go.Figure(go.Candlestick(x=df['Date'],
                open=df['AAPL.Open'], high=df['AAPL.High'],
                low=df['AAPL.Low'], close=df['AAPL.Close']))

fig.add_trace(
    go.Scatter(
        x=["2017-02-10"],
        y=[135],
        mode="markers+text",
        marker=dict(symbol='triangle-down-open', size = 12),
#         text = 'important',
#         textposition = 'middle right'

    )
)

fig.show()

When I run your code I get the following error:

ValueError: 
Invalid value of type 'builtins.str' received for the 'symbol' property of scatter.marker
    Received value: '6'

The 'symbol' property is an enumeration that may be specified as:
  - One of the following enumeration values:
        [0, 'circle', 100, 'circle-open', 200, 'circle-dot', 300,
        'circle-open-dot', 1, 'square', 101, 'square-open', 201,
        'square-dot', 301, 'square-open-dot', 2, 'diamond', 102,
        'diamond-open', 202, 'diamond-dot', 302,
        'diamond-open-dot', 3, 'cross', 103, 'cross-open', 203,
        'cross-dot', 303, 'cross-open-dot', 4, 'x', 104, 'x-open',
        204, 'x-dot', 304, 'x-open-dot', 5, 'triangle-up', 105,
        'triangle-up-open', 205, 'triangle-up-dot', 305,
        'triangle-up-open-dot', 6, 'triangle-down', 106,
        'triangle-down-open', 206, 'triangle-down-dot', 306,
        'triangle-down-open-dot', 7, 'triangle-left', 107,
        'triangle-left-open', 207, 'triangle-left-dot', 307,
        'triangle-left-open-dot', 8, 'triangle-right', 108,
        'triangle-right-open', 208, 'triangle-right-dot', 308,
        'triangle-right-open-dot', 9, 'triangle-ne', 109,
        'triangle-ne-open', 209, 'triangle-ne-dot', 309,
        'triangle-ne-open-dot', 10, 'triangle-se', 110,
        'triangle-se-open', 210, 'triangle-se-dot', 310,
        'triangle-se-open-dot', 11, 'triangle-sw', 111,
        'triangle-sw-open', 211, 'triangle-sw-dot', 311,
        'triangle-sw-open-dot', 12, 'triangle-nw', 112,
        'triangle-nw-open', 212, 'triangle-nw-dot', 312,
        'triangle-nw-open-dot', 13, 'pentagon', 113,
        'pentagon-open', 213, 'pentagon-dot', 313,
        'pentagon-open-dot', 14, 'hexagon', 114, 'hexagon-open',
        214, 'hexagon-dot', 314, 'hexagon-open-dot', 15,
        'hexagon2', 115, 'hexagon2-open', 215, 'hexagon2-dot',
        315, 'hexagon2-open-dot', 16, 'octagon', 116,
        'octagon-open', 216, 'octagon-dot', 316,
        'octagon-open-dot', 17, 'star', 117, 'star-open', 217,
        'star-dot', 317, 'star-open-dot', 18, 'hexagram', 118,
        'hexagram-open', 218, 'hexagram-dot', 318,
        'hexagram-open-dot', 19, 'star-triangle-up', 119,
        'star-triangle-up-open', 219, 'star-triangle-up-dot', 319,
        'star-triangle-up-open-dot', 20, 'star-triangle-down',
        120, 'star-triangle-down-open', 220,
        'star-triangle-down-dot', 320,
        'star-triangle-down-open-dot', 21, 'star-square', 121,
        'star-square-open', 221, 'star-square-dot', 321,
        'star-square-open-dot', 22, 'star-diamond', 122,
        'star-diamond-open', 222, 'star-diamond-dot', 322,
        'star-diamond-open-dot', 23, 'diamond-tall', 123,
        'diamond-tall-open', 223, 'diamond-tall-dot', 323,
        'diamond-tall-open-dot', 24, 'diamond-wide', 124,
        'diamond-wide-open', 224, 'diamond-wide-dot', 324,
        'diamond-wide-open-dot', 25, 'hourglass', 125,
        'hourglass-open', 26, 'bowtie', 126, 'bowtie-open', 27,
        'circle-cross', 127, 'circle-cross-open', 28, 'circle-x',
        128, 'circle-x-open', 29, 'square-cross', 129,
        'square-cross-open', 30, 'square-x', 130, 'square-x-open',
        31, 'diamond-cross', 131, 'diamond-cross-open', 32,
        'diamond-x', 132, 'diamond-x-open', 33, 'cross-thin', 133,
        'cross-thin-open', 34, 'x-thin', 134, 'x-thin-open', 35,
        'asterisk', 135, 'asterisk-open', 36, 'hash', 136,
        'hash-open', 236, 'hash-dot', 336, 'hash-open-dot', 37,
        'y-up', 137, 'y-up-open', 38, 'y-down', 138,
        'y-down-open', 39, 'y-left', 139, 'y-left-open', 40,
        'y-right', 140, 'y-right-open', 41, 'line-ew', 141,
        'line-ew-open', 42, 'line-ns', 142, 'line-ns-open', 43,
        'line-ne', 143, 'line-ne-open', 44, 'line-nw', 144,
        'line-nw-open']
  - A tuple, list, or one-dimensional numpy array of the above

To fix this, I simply just gave the marker value one of the values that it instructed for example I did marker=dict(symbol='triangle-down-open') which returned a graph like this:

enter image description here

The code for the graphs is:

candlestick_chart = go.Figure(data=[go.Candlestick(x=financial_data["Date"],
                                 open=financial_data['Open'],
                                 high=financial_data['High'],
                                 low=financial_data['Low'],
                                 close=financial_data['Close'])])


candlestick_chart.add_trace(
    go.Scatter(
        x=["2020-07-01"],
        y=["350"],
        mode="markers",
        marker=dict(symbol='triangle-down-open')

    )
)

candlestick_chart.show()
Related