I have a react web app that allows users to record mp3 files in the browser. These mp3 files are saved in an AWS S3 bucket and can be retrieved and loaded back into the react app during the user's next session.
Saving the file works just fine, but when I try to retrieve the file with getObject() and try to create an mp3 blob on the client-side, I get a small, unusable blob:
Here's the journey the recorded mp3 file goes on:
1) Saving to S3
In my Express/Node server, I receive the uploaded mp3 file and save to the S3 bucket:
//SAVE THE COMPLETED AUDIO TO S3
router.post("/", [auth, upload.array('audio', 12)], async (req, res) => {
try {
//get file
const audioFile = req.files[0];
//create object key
const userId = req.user;
const projectId = req.cookies.currentProject;
const { sectionId } = req.body;
const key = `${userId}/${projectId}/${sectionId}.mp3`;
const fileStream = fs.createReadStream(audioFile.path)
const uploadParams = {
Bucket: bucketName,
Body: fileStream,
Key: key,
ContentType: "audio/mp3"
}
const result = await s3.upload(uploadParams).promise();
res.send(result.key);
} catch (error) {
console.error(error);
res.status(500).send();
}
});
As far as I know, there are no problems at this stage. The file ends up in my S3 bucket with "type: mp3" and "Content-Type: audio/mp3".
2) Loading file from S3 Bucket
When the react app is loaded up, an HTTP GET Request is made in my Express/Node server to retrieve the mp3 file from the S3 Bucket
//LOAD A FILE FROM S3
router.get("/:sectionId", auth, async(req, res) => {
try {
//create key from user/project/section IDs
const sectionId = req.params.sectionId;
const userId = req.user;
const projectId = req.cookies.currentProject;
const key = `${userId}/${projectId}/${sectionId}.mp3`;
const downloadParams = {
Key: key,
Bucket: bucketName
}
s3.getObject(downloadParams, function (error, data) {
if (error) {
console.error(error);
res.status(500).send();
}
res.send(data);
});
} catch (error) {
console.error(error);
res.status(500).send();
}
});
The "data" returned here is as such:

3) Making a Blob URL on the client
Finally, in the React client, I try to create an 'audio/mp3' blob from the returned array buffer
const loadAudio = async () => {
const res = await api.loadAudio(activeSection.sectionId);
const blob = new Blob([res.data.Body], {type: 'audio/mp3' });
const url = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
globalDispatch({ type: "setFullAudioURL", payload: url });
}
The created blob is severely undersized and appears to be completely unusable. Downloading the file results in a 'Failed - No file' error.

I've been stuck on this for a couple of days now with no luck. I would seriously appreciate any advice you can give!
Thanks
EDIT 1
Just some additional info here: in the upload parameters, I set the Content-Type as audio/mp3 explicitly. This is because when not set, the Content-Type defaults to 'application/octet-stream'. Either way, I encounter the same issue with the same result.
EDIT 2 At the request of a commenter, here is the res.data available on the client-side after the call is complete:


