I'm learning C++ and trying to write a C++ class for matrices, where I store the matrix as a one-dimensional C array. To this end, I defined an element member function to access the matrix elements based on their location in the array. I have then overloaded the << and + operators to handle the display and addition of matrices. The << operator works as intended, as can be demonstrated in the following example:
#include<iostream>
class matrix {
friend std::ostream & operator<<(std::ostream &os, matrix &M);
private:
int rows{}, columns{};
double *array {nullptr};
public:
matrix(int rows, int columns);
~matrix() {}
double & element(int r, int c);
matrix operator+(matrix &M)
{
matrix N(rows, columns);
if (M.rows!=rows || M.columns!=columns){
std::cout << "ERROR: DIMENSIONS OF MATRICES DO NOT MATCH" << std::endl;
}
else{
for (int i{1}; i<=M.rows; i++)
for (int j{1}; j<=M.columns; j++){
N.element(i,j) = element(i,j) + M.element(i,j);
}
}
return N;
}
};
matrix::matrix(int r, int c)
{
rows = r;
columns = c;
array = new double[rows*columns];
for(int i{0}; i<rows*columns; i++) array[i]=0.0;
}
double & matrix::element(int i, int j)
{
int loc{0};
loc = (j-1) + (i-1)*columns;
return array[loc];
}
std::ostream & operator<<(std::ostream &os, matrix &M)
{
for (int i{1}; i<=M.rows; i++){
os << "[ ";
for (int j{1}; j<=M.columns; j++){
os << M.element(i,j) << " ";
}
os << "] \n";
}
return os;
}
int main() {
matrix A(2,2);
matrix B(2,2);
A.element(1,1) = 1;
A.element(1,2) = 2;
A.element(2,1) = 3;
A.element(2,2) = 4;
B.element(1,1) = 1;
B.element(1,2) = 2;
B.element(2,1) = 3;
B.element(2,2) = 4;
std::cout << A << std::endl;
std::cout << B << std::endl;
return 0;
}
I'm then unable to display the addition of two matrices:
std::cout << A+B << std::endl;
If I, however, break up the operation and add the matrices separately before displaying their sum, I get the right output, which makes me believe that the + operator also works correctly:
matrix C(2,2);
C = A+B;
std::cout << C << std::endl;
The error seems to suggest that there may be an issue converting the matrix elements into the ostream, but it's curious that the above workaround solution works.