I've been trying to understand how bmp files work so I can render some Mandelbrot set pictures and output them as bmp files since that seems to be one of the easiest methods but for some reason when I use an aspect ratio that isn't 1:1 even though its something to the power of 4 (so no padding is needed) I get weird artifacts like these 200:100 48:100 what I'm trying to do is turning an array of pixels that has white for even numbers and black for odd numbers into a bmp, this (100:100) is what it looks like with 1:1 aspect ratio. I've tried reading through the wikipedia article to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong but I still don't get what I'm missing.
This is the script I've written in Lua so far:
ResolutionX = 100
ResolutionY = 100
local cos, atan, sin, atan2, sqrt, floor = math.cos, math.atan, math.sin, math.atan2, math.sqrt, math.floor
local insert, concat = table.insert, table.concat
local sub, char, rep = string.sub, string.char, string.rep
io.output("Test.bmp")
function Basen(n,b)
n = floor(n)
if not b or b == 10 then return tostring(n) end
local digits = "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
local t = {}
repeat
local d = (n % b) + 1
n = floor(n / b)
insert(t, 1, digits:sub(d,d))
until n == 0
return rep("0",32-#t)..concat(t,"")
end
FileSize = Basen(ResolutionY*ResolutionX*3 + 54,2)
FileSize4 = tonumber(sub(FileSize,1,8),2) or 0
FileSize3 = tonumber(sub(FileSize,9,16),2) or 0
FileSize2 = tonumber(sub(FileSize,17,24),2) or 0
FileSize1 = tonumber(sub(FileSize,25,32),2) or 0
Width = Basen(ResolutionX,2)
print("Width: ",Width)
Width4 = tonumber(sub(Width,1,8),2) or 0
Width3 = tonumber(sub(Width,9,16),2) or 0
Width2 = tonumber(sub(Width,17,24),2) or 0
Width1 = tonumber(sub(Width,25,32),2) or 0
Height = Basen(ResolutionY,2)
print("Height: ",Height)
Height4 = tonumber(sub(Height,1,8),2) or 0
Height3 = tonumber(sub(Height,9,16),2) or 0
Height2 = tonumber(sub(Height,17,24),2) or 0
Height1 = tonumber(sub(Height,25,32),2) or 0
BMPSize = Basen(ResolutionY*ResolutionX*3,2)
BMPSize4 = tonumber(sub(BMPSize,1,8),2) or 0
BMPSize3 = tonumber(sub(BMPSize,9,16),2) or 0
BMPSize2 = tonumber(sub(BMPSize,17,24),2) or 0
BMPSize1 = tonumber(sub(BMPSize,25,32),2) or 0
print("TotalSize: ",FileSize1,FileSize2,FileSize3,FileSize4,"\nWidth: ",Width1,Width2,Width3,Width4,"\nHeight: ",Height1,Height2,Height3,Height4,"\nImage data: ",BMPSize1,BMPSize2,BMPSize3,BMPSize4)
Result = {"BM"..char( --File type
FileSize1,FileSize2,FileSize3,FileSize4,--File size
0,0,0,0, --Reserved
54,0,0,0, --Where the pixel data starts
40,0,0,0, --DIB header
Width1,Width2,Width3,Width4, --Width
Height1,Height2,Height3,Height4, --Height
1,0, --Color planes
24,00, --Bit depth
0,0,0,0, --Compression
BMPSize1,BMPSize2,BMPSize3,BMPSize4, --The amount of bytes pixel data will consume
Width1,Width2,Width3,Width4,
Height1,Height2,Height3,Height4,
0,0,0,0, --Number of colors in palatte
0,0,0,0
)}
for X = 0, ResolutionX - 1 do
for Y = 0, ResolutionY - 1 do
insert(Result,rep(char(255 * ((X + 1) % 2) * ((Y + 1) % 2)),3))
end
end
io.write(table.concat(Result))
