I've forked dlandon's Zoneminder project in order to build a Docker image using Debian Bullseye instead of Ubuntu, for i386 (I'm installing it into a 32-bit mini PC).
Part of the requiriments is installing dlib (latest is 19.22.0). I've installed the required dependencies (python3-pip, python3-setuptools and python3-wheel, as well as GCC and CMake).
When installing dlib, the terminal outputs:
Collecting dlib
Downloading dlib-19.22.0.tar.gz (7.4 MB)
Using legacy 'setup.py install' for dlib, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Installing collected packages: dlib
Running setup.py install for dlib: started
...
The relevant part is (even with python3-wheel installed)
Using legacy 'setup.py install' for dlib, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
dlib builts successfully but takes a looong time to build, however. This happens with any packages supossed to use wheel.
I haven't found any (answered) questions about this specific issue, so, if there is something I missed, I would be told about that.
Everything is in the Dockerfile.