Is the YouTube API is Free or Paid?

Viewed 242

I am a little confused with regard to the YouTube api. It stats Quote cost and I Wanted to check Is the YouTube API is Free or Paid?

Because when i checked it is showing some dollars amount for an every API calls.

1 Answers

Most of Googles APIs are free to use, but you are given a small quota limit. You can then request additional quota at a later date if you need more. Depending upon how much you ask for you may be charged for the additional quota.

This is not something i have ever heard of with regard to the YouTube api. I suspect your confusion is related to the fact that the YouTube API is cost based. However the cost is not in money the cost is in points against your quota allotment. Say you have 10000 quota points to use for the api, and you make a request against videos.list the cost of this request is 1 quota points. that means you now have 9999 quota points remaining. While video.insert costs 1600.

Its not a cost in money its a cost in quota points. I have a video that may help you understand this a bit better. YouTube API and cost based quota demystified

You may also want to review the Quota cost calculator which will give you an idea of how many points each request costs.

Related