I am facing a problem with the timezone when I run a Springboot 2.3.8 application with Tomcat 9 on a "Windows Server 2016 Datacenter" machine. Running it locally with Eclipse or Tomcat 9 doesn't trigger the problem.
I set the timezone at the beggining using:
@PostConstruct
public void init()
{
TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone.getTimeZone("Europe/Berlin"));
Calendar now = Calendar.getInstance();
TimeZone timeZone = now.getTimeZone();
System.out.println(timeZone.getDisplayName());
}
And that prints -> Central European Standard Time
However, later on when I call one of the endpoints and I check the timezone the same way as before
Calendar now = Calendar.getInstance();
TimeZone timeZone = now.getTimeZone();
System.out.println(timeZone.getDisplayName());
I get --> Coordinated Universal Time
I assume that either the timezone is not being really set on the @PostConstruct or something is overwritting it later on.
My question is, what could be doing the change and how could I fix it to have my timezone always at "Europe/Berlin".
I have tried changing the timezone inside the app as mentioned above, using java parameters in tomcat and changing the timezone of the machine itself, But in all cases the changes are overwritten and I get UTC when calling and endpoint.
Pom.xml:
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<parent>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-parent</artifactId>
<version>2.3.8.RELEASE</version>
<relativePath /> <!-- lookup parent from repository -->
</parent>
<groupId>com.test</groupId>
<artifactId>project</artifactId>
<name>project</name>
<version>1.00</version>
<packaging>war</packaging>
<url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
<properties>
<java.version>1.8</java.version>
<maven.compiler.source>1.8</maven.compiler.source>
<maven.compiler.target>1.8</maven.compiler.target>
<maven.test.skip>true</maven.test.skip>
<project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
<!-- Master Versions -->
<spring.boot.version>2.3.8.RELEASE</spring.boot.version>
<oracle.version>12.2.0.1</oracle.version>
</properties>
<!-- Generates the Build Info/Properties -->
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<goals>
<goal>build-info</goal>
</goals>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<!-- Adds local jar to the final WAR -->
<plugin>
<groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>
<configuration>
<failOnMissingWebXml>false</failOnMissingWebXml>
<webResources>
<resource>
<directory>${project.basedir}/libraries/</directory>
<targetPath>WEB-INF/lib</targetPath>
</resource>
</webResources>
</configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<!-- Import dependency management from Spring Boot -->
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-dependencies</artifactId>
<version>${spring.boot.version}</version>
<type>pom</type>
<scope>import</scope>
</dependency>
<!-- Spring-boot-starter -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-web</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-data-rest</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-integration</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-security</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-tomcat</artifactId>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-thymeleaf</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-aop</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-context-support</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-data-jpa</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.ldap</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-ldap-core</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.security</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-security-ldap</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.security</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-security-jwt</artifactId>
<version>1.1.1.RELEASE</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.security.oauth</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-security-oauth2</artifactId>
<version>2.5.0.RELEASE</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>com.unboundid</groupId>
<artifactId>unboundid-ldapsdk</artifactId>
</dependency>
<!-- javax -->
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.xml.bind</groupId>
<artifactId>jaxb-api</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.mail</groupId>
<artifactId>mail</artifactId>
<version>1.4.7</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.servlet-api</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.persistence</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.persistence-api</artifactId>
</dependency>
<!-- jjwt -->
<dependency>
<groupId>io.jsonwebtoken</groupId>
<artifactId>jjwt</artifactId>
<version>0.9.1</version>
</dependency>
<!-- Oracle JDBC driver -->
<dependency>
<groupId>com.oracle.jdbc</groupId>
<artifactId>ojdbc8</artifactId>
<version>${oracle.version}</version>
</dependency>
<!-- HikariCP connection pool -->
<dependency>
<groupId>com.zaxxer</groupId>
<artifactId>HikariCP</artifactId>
</dependency>
<!-- Swagger -->
<dependency>
<groupId>io.springfox</groupId>
<artifactId>springfox-boot-starter</artifactId>
<version>3.0.0</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io -->
<dependency>
<groupId>commons-io</groupId>
<artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
<version>2.8.0</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tika/tika-example -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.tika</groupId>
<artifactId>tika-core</artifactId>
<version>1.25</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tika/tika-parsers -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.tika</groupId>
<artifactId>tika-parsers</artifactId>
<version>1.25</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-fileupload/commons-fileupload -->
<dependency>
<groupId>commons-fileupload</groupId>
<artifactId>commons-fileupload</artifactId>
<version>1.4</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.springframework/spring-mock -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-mock</artifactId>
<version>2.0.8</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.junit.jupiter/junit-jupiter-api -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.junit.jupiter</groupId>
<artifactId>junit-jupiter-api</artifactId>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
<!-- Spring-test -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-test</artifactId>
</dependency>
<!-- Mockito -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.mockito</groupId>
<artifactId>mockito-core</artifactId>
</dependency>
<!-- Powermock -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.powermock</groupId>
<artifactId>powermock-module-junit4</artifactId>
<version>2.0.9</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.powermock</groupId>
<artifactId>powermock-api-mockito2</artifactId>
<version>2.0.9</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</project>
