I was implementing a conv block in pytorch with activation function(prelu). I used Kaiming initilization to initialize all my weights and set all the bias to zero. However as I tested these blocks (by stacking 100 such conv and activation blocks on top of each other), I noticed that the output I am getting values of the order of 10^(-10). Is this normal, considering I am stacking upto 100 layers. Adding a small bias to each layer fixes the problem. But in Kaiming initialization the biases are supposed to be zero.
Here is the conv block code
from collections import Iterable
def convBlock(
input_channels, output_channels, kernel_size=3, padding=None, activation="prelu"
):
"""
Initializes a conv block using Kaiming Initialization
"""
padding_par = 0
if padding == "same":
padding_par = same_padding(kernel_size)
conv = nn.Conv2d(input_channels, output_channels, kernel_size, padding=padding_par)
relu_negative_slope = 0.25
act = None
if activation == "prelu" or activation == "leaky_relu":
nn.init.kaiming_normal_(conv.weight, a=relu_negative_slope, mode="fan_in")
if activation == "prelu":
act = nn.PReLU(init=relu_negative_slope)
else:
act = nn.LeakyReLU(negative_slope=relu_negative_slope)
if activation == "relu":
nn.init.kaiming_normal_(conv.weight, nonlinearity="relu")
act = nn.ReLU()
nn.init.constant_(conv.bias.data, 0)
block = nn.Sequential(conv, act)
return block
def flatten(lis):
for item in lis:
if isinstance(item, Iterable) and not isinstance(item, str):
for x in flatten(item):
yield x
else:
yield item
def Sequential(args):
flattened_args = list(flatten(args))
return nn.Sequential(*flattened_args)
This is the test Code
ls=[]
for i in range(100):
ls.append(convBlock(3,3,3,"same"))
model=Sequential(ls)
test=np.ones((1,3,5,5))
model(torch.Tensor(test))
And the output I am getting is
tensor([[[[-1.7771e-10, -3.5088e-10, 5.9369e-09, 4.2668e-09, 9.8803e-10],
[ 1.8657e-09, -4.0271e-10, 3.1189e-09, 1.5117e-09, 6.6546e-09],
[ 2.4237e-09, -6.2249e-10, -5.7327e-10, 4.2867e-09, 6.0034e-09],
[-1.8757e-10, 5.5446e-09, 1.7641e-09, 5.7018e-09, 6.4347e-09],
[ 1.2352e-09, -3.4732e-10, 4.1553e-10, -1.2996e-09, 3.8971e-09]],
[[ 2.6607e-09, 1.7756e-09, -1.0923e-09, -1.4272e-09, -1.1840e-09],
[ 2.0668e-10, -1.8130e-09, -2.3864e-09, -1.7061e-09, -1.7147e-10],
[-6.7161e-10, -1.3440e-09, -6.3196e-10, -8.7677e-10, -1.4851e-09],
[ 3.1475e-09, -1.6574e-09, -3.4180e-09, -3.5224e-09, -2.6642e-09],
[-1.9703e-09, -3.2277e-09, -2.4733e-09, -2.3707e-09, -8.7598e-10]],
[[ 3.5573e-09, 7.8113e-09, 6.8232e-09, 1.2285e-09, -9.3973e-10],
[ 6.6368e-09, 8.2877e-09, 9.2108e-10, 9.7531e-10, 7.0011e-10],
[ 6.6954e-09, 9.1019e-09, 1.5128e-08, 3.3151e-09, 2.1899e-10],
[ 1.2152e-08, 7.7002e-09, 1.6406e-08, 1.4948e-08, -6.0882e-10],
[ 6.9930e-09, 7.3222e-09, -7.4308e-10, 5.2505e-09, 3.4365e-09]]]],
grad_fn=<PreluBackward>)