I am a very novice Mathematica user and still can't get my head around its evaluation control, all possible constructs related to it (e.g. Hold, Unevaluated, etc.) and how they work, despite the thorough documentation and the numerous StackExchange and StackOverflow questions discussing this topic. So, apologies for any possible duplicates.
My use case is the following: I have a function (say f) defined by thousands of rules and patterns (DownValues). I want to start from an unrolled representation of f[expr] (for some expr) and get the result of applying a single, particular rule to f[expr]. I want the result to stay unrolled as well.
As a particular example, suppose we have the following:
In[1]: nat[0] := 0
In[2]: nat[n_] := 1 + nat[n - 1]
In[3]: DownValues[nat]
Out[3]: {HoldPattern[nat[0]] :> 0, HoldPattern[nat[n_]] :> 1 + nat[n - 1]}
In[4]: nat[10]
Out[4]: 10
Now, I want to start from an expression represented as nat[10] (unevaluated!) and want to specifically apply the second rule (HoldPattern[nat[n_]] :> 1 + nat[n - 1]) to obtain the expression in the form of 1 + nat[9]. Analogously, shall I wish to apply the first rule (HoldPattern[nat[0]] :> 0), I would expect the result to stay unchanged in its original form, i.e. nat[10].
Thank you for your help!