I am using transformers pipeline to perform sentiment analysis on sample texts from 6 different languages. I tested the code in my local Jupyterhub and it worked fine. But when I wrap it in a flask application and create a docker image out of it, the execution is hanging at the pipeline inference line and its taking forever to return the sentiment scores.
- mac os catalina 10.15.7 (no GPU)
- Python version : 3.8
- Transformers package : 4.4.2
- torch version : 1.6.0
from transformers import AutoTokenizer, AutoModelForSequenceClassification, pipeline
model_name = "nlptown/bert-base-multilingual-uncased-sentiment"
model = AutoModelForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained(model_name)
tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained(model_name)
classifier = pipeline('sentiment-analysis', model=model, tokenizer=tokenizer)
results = classifier(["We are very happy to show you the Transformers library.", "We hope you don't hate it."])
print([i['score'] for i in results])
The above code works fine in Jupyter notebook and it has provided me the expected result
[0.7495927810668945,0.2365245819091797]
So now if I create a docker image with flask wrapper its getting stuck at the results = classifier([input_data]) line and the execution is running forever.
My folder structure is as follows:
- src
|-- app
|--main.py
|-- Dockerfile
|-- requirements.txt
I used the below Dockerfile to create the image
FROM tiangolo/uwsgi-nginx-flask:python3.8
COPY ./requirements.txt /requirements.txt
COPY ./app /app
WORKDIR /app
RUN pip install -r /requirements.txt
RUN echo "uwsgi_read_timeout 1200s;" > /etc/nginx/conf.d/custom_timeout.conf
And my requirements.txt file is as follows:
pandas==1.1.5
transformers==4.4.2
torch==1.6.0
My main.py script look like this :
from flask import Flask, json, request, jsonify
import traceback
import pandas as pd
from transformers import AutoTokenizer, AutoModelForSequenceClassification, pipeline
app = Flask(__name__)
app.config["JSON_SORT_KEYS"] = False
model_name = 'nlptown/bert-base-multilingual-uncased-sentiment'
model = AutoModelForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained(model_name)
tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained(model_name)
nlp = pipeline('sentiment-analysis', model=model_path, tokenizer=model_path)
@app.route("/")
def hello():
return "Model: Sentiment pipeline test"
@app.route("/predict", methods=['POST'])
def predict():
json_request = request.get_json(silent=True)
input_list = [i['text'] for i in json_request["input_data"]]
results = nlp(input_list) ########## Getting stuck here
for result in results:
print(f"label: {result['label']}, with score: {round(result['score'], 4)}")
score_list = [round(i['score'], 4) for i in results]
return jsonify(score_list)
if __name__ == "__main__":
app.run(host='0.0.0.0', debug=False, port=80)
My input payload is of the form
{"input_data" : [{"text" : "We are very happy to show you the Transformers library."},
{"text" : "We hope you don't hate it."}]}
I tried looking into the transformers github issues but couldn't find one. I execution works fine even when using the flask development server but it runs forever when I wrap it and create a docker image. I am not sure if I am missing any additional dependency to be included while creating the docker image.
Thanks.