How to have a view in ConstraintLayout behave as both wrap_content and match_parent depending on visibility of another view

Viewed 151

As you can see in the image below, I'm looking for a way to have 2 views, and I need that when both are visible, view 2 behave as a wrap_parent, but when view 1 is gone, I will like to view 2 to take the remaining of the space.

I know constraint layout can accomplish this; I haven't found a way to do it.

Here is an example of what I'm looking forenter image description here

Edit 1

Neither of these views is view groups.

1 Answers

Place both views into a horizontal chain that is spread_inside. Set the width of both views to 0dp. For View 2, specify app:layout_constraintWidth_min="wrap". For View 1 set the layout weight (app:layout_constraintHorizontal_weight) to 1.

The following XML is an example:

<androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout 
    android:layout_width="match_parent"
    android:layout_height="match_parent">

    <TextView
        android:id="@+id/textView1"
        android:layout_width="0dp"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:layout_marginStart="16dp"
        android:background="@android:color/holo_green_light"
        android:text="View 1"
        android:textSize="24sp"
        app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
        app:layout_constraintEnd_toStartOf="@+id/textView2"
        app:layout_constraintHorizontal_chainStyle="spread_inside"
        app:layout_constraintHorizontal_weight="1"
        app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
        app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent"
        tools:visibility="visible" />

    <TextView
        android:id="@+id/textView2"
        android:layout_width="0dp"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:layout_marginStart="16dp"
        android:layout_marginEnd="16dp"
        android:background="@android:color/holo_blue_light"
        android:text="View 2"
        android:textSize="24sp"
        app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
        app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
        app:layout_constraintStart_toEndOf="@+id/textView1"
        app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent"
        app:layout_constraintWidth_min="wrap" />

</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>

When both views are visible, we see this:

enter image description here

With View 1 gone, we see this:

enter image description here

Related