I'm trying to make a Unity game that allows the user to explore the surface of an Earth shaped spheroid, based on WGS84.
The project so far is on Github, and there's a YouTube video of this behaviour.
A shape the size of Earth is way too big for Unity, so I just spawn tiles near the user, offset so that the first tile is at Unity's origin point. This bit works.
The issue is moving around. I've been using an approach where I get the user's position in ECEF coordinates, then normalise that to provide the global orientation for the player, then I translate the player forward based on that and their rotation.
The issue with this is that normalising the ECEF coordinate means that the player is moving in a spherical shape, but the WGS84 spheroid is not perfectly spherical. So the player sinks into the floor, or flies up if you got south or north, respectively.
My question is, how can I allow the user to move around the surface of the spheroid by way of translation? I feel like there might be some way of taking the major/minor axis of the spheroid into account as the player moves, but I'm not sure how to do that.