How to install gem pg on mac mini m1?

Viewed 1698

I'm having trouble installing gem pg on my m1 mac mini. Im trying to host onto Heroku and netlify. Wondering if anyone has found a workaround for this. I have tried several solutions on stack overflow but nothing works.

please help, I consider myself a noob with this kinda stuff.

below is the error im getting.

`

jonathanbleibdrey@Little-Mac listen_to_the_humans % gem install pg
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing pg:
        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    current directory: /Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.1/gems/pg-1.2.3/ext
/Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.1/bin/ruby -I /Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.1/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.6.0 -r ./siteconf20210323-28582-1dv0k5o.rb extconf.rb
checking for pg_config... yes
Using config values from /opt/homebrew/bin/pg_config
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for libpq/libpq-fs.h... yes
checking for pg_config_manual.h... yes
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -llibpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lms/libpq... no
Can't find the PostgreSQL client library (libpq)
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more details.  You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --without-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=/Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.1/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)
        --with-pg
        --without-pg
        --enable-windows-cross
        --disable-windows-cross
        --with-pg-config
        --without-pg-config
        --with-pg_config
        --without-pg_config
        --with-pg-dir
        --without-pg-dir
        --with-pg-include
        --without-pg-include=${pg-dir}/include
        --with-pg-lib
        --without-pg-lib=${pg-dir}/lib
        --with-pqlib
        --without-pqlib
        --with-libpqlib
        --without-libpqlib
        --with-ms/libpqlib
        --without-ms/libpqlib

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

  /Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.1/extensions/x86_64-darwin-19/2.6.0/pg-1.2.3/mkmf.log

extconf failed, exit code 1

Gem files will remain installed in /Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.1/gems/pg-1.2.3 for inspection.
Results logged to /Users/jonathanbleibdrey/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.1/extensions/x86_64-darwin-19/2.6.0/pg-1.2.3/gem_make.out

`

let me know what I can do or resources I can find, or even if we can zoom to fix it wanted to launch it by need of week.

2 Answers

Figured it out: I had some dependency's in my homebrew that was out of date. all I had to do is

homebrew upgrade

I think.

The key to my initial problem getting pg gem to install on my m1 was that installing postgresql via brew did not install a library that the pg gem needs to run. This fixed it:

brew install libpq
export PATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/libpq/bin:$PATH"
gem install pg
Related