Crash on MobileAds.initialize(this) Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR)

Viewed 3565

As of today I've started getting this error:

A/libc: Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 0x0 in tid 31968

on some devices when MobileAds.initialize(this) is called. If I uninstall the program and reinstall, it works as expected the first time the app is opened, but if I close and open the app again I start getting the crash again. Removing MobileAds.initialize(this) also fixes the problem but then obviously the ads don't run.

Any ideas what might have changed?

In AndroidManifest:

<meta-data
        android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.APPLICATION_ID"
        android:value="ca-app-pub-2882944708681916~4204025586" />

In build.gradle:

implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:19.8.0'
implementation "com.android.billingclient:billing:3.0.3"
2 Answers

I have the same problem today. a lot of users contacted me saying that my app is crashing on start. I checked my play console crashes and it have huge number of crashes and lot of users impacted with this issue The only stack trace is this /data/app/com.android.chrome-p65-sPd3ac7AycjqzKIQbg==/base.apk

I did not update my app it just happed by it self I found this https://groups.google.com/g/google-admob-ads-sdk/c/Q-edauZ27g8 It happed before and still

Not all devices affected by this issue. My app in my phone is working fine. However I have another phone and I open my app then it crash at start. yesterday it wasn't.

I updated google chrome then the problem goes away. make sure it's last update of google chrome 22 Mar 2021

I don't think there is something we can do and I don't know how to announce to my users to update google chrome.

Tell your users to update Android System Webview or Chrome...

Check this article posted on support.google.com,

On March 22, we began to receive reports that several Google apps, including Gmail and Chrome, and partner apps began to crash unexpectedly on Android. After conducting an investigation, we identified that the issue was related to a recent update to the WebView system app. We halted the update and have posted a new version of WebView (89.0.4389.105). If your device was impacted, the steps below will walk you through your options to resolve this issue.

To resolve this issue, Android System WebView and Google Chrome need to be updated. Google Play will soon download the update to these apps on affected devices, or you can update manually to resolve the issue immediately. Some devices do not have WebView pre-installed and only need to update Chrome. To manually update Android System WebView and Google Chrome right now:

  • Open the Play Store app.
  • Search for “Android System WebView.”
  • Select Update. If it doesn't say “Update”, skip this step.
  • Repeat these steps for Google Chrome Learn more about updating Android apps

Note: We do not recommend manually uninstalling updates to WebView. It may result in loss of data from some apps.

In some rare cases in Android 10 or 11, a manual update of WebView or Chrome may fail to complete. Here are additional steps users can take to resolve the issue:

  • Open your phone’s Settings app.
  • Tap Apps & notifications > Google Play Store > Storage & cache > Clear Data

Please note that doing this will clear some of your Play Store settings like parental controls, auto-update preferences, etc. Please recheck these settings after following these steps. Repeat the steps above to update WebView and Chrome

Reference,

https://support.google.com/android/thread/103561027?hl=en

Related