Impossible to install geopandas

Viewed 4156

I've tried all the installing methods in geopandas' documentation and nothing works.

conda install geopandas gives

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with each other:

Output in format: Requested package -> Available versionsThe following specifications were found to be incompatible with your CUDA driver:

  - feature:/win-32::__cuda==10.1=0

Your installed CUDA driver is: 10.1

conda install --channel conda-forge geopandas gives the same error.

Created a new environment with conda:

Package python conflicts for:
python=3
geopandas -> python[version='2.7.*|3.5.*|3.6.*|>=3.5|>=3.6|3.4.*|>=3.6,<3.7.0a0|>=3.7,<3.8.0a0|>=2.7,<2.8.0a0|>=3.5,<3.6.0a0']
geopandas -> pandas[version='>=0.24'] -> python[version='>=3.7|>=3.8,<3.9.0a0|>=3.9,<3.10.0a0']The following specifications were found to be incompatible with your CUDA driver: 

  - feature:/win-32::__cuda==10.1=0

Your installed CUDA driver is: 10.1

I tried installing from source, no luck:

A GDAL API version must be specified. Provide a path to gdal-config using a GDAL_CONFIG environment variable or use a GDAL_VERSION environment variable.

I also followed this answer, which gives similar errors for all packages installing:

Package `geopandas` found in cache
Downloading package . . .
https://download.lfd.uci.edu/pythonlibs/z4tqcw5k/geopandas-0.8.1-py3-none-any.whl
geopandas-0.8.1-py3-none-any.whl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\urllib\request.py", line 649, in http_error_default
    raise HTTPError(req.full_url, code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

I also followed this tutorial and download 5 dependencies' binary wheels and pip install them. I have this error for installing Fiona, geopandas, pyproj

A GDAL API version must be specified. Provide a path to gdal-config using a GDAL_CONFIG environment variable or use a GDAL_VERSION environment variable.

I'm in my venv with Python 3.8.7 in Windows 10. I have GDAL installed and set GDAL_DATA and GDAL_DRIVER_PATH as environment vars.

3 Answers

@duckboycool and @Ken Y-N are right, downgrading to Python 3.7 did the trick! Downgrading with conda conda install python=3.7 and then conda install geopandas

I found that the following works. I first tried conda install geopandas in the base environment, and that didn't work. Several times. I created a new environment in Anaconda Navigator, activated my new environment and repeated conda install geopandas, and tried installing geopandas from the Navigator and that failed too. Finally, I created a new environment using Anaconda Prompt and installed the package.

conda create --name pandamaps geopandas

See the conda>getting started>managing environments https://conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/getting-started.html

You need to create an environment initially, Then inside the new environment try to install Geopandas:

1- conda create -n geo_env
2- conda activate geo_env
3- conda config --env --add channels conda-forge
4- conda config --env --set channel_priority strict
5- conda install python=3 geopandas

and following video: https://youtu.be/k-MWeAWEta8 https://geopandas.org/getting_started/install.html

Related