I am trying to do a word counter with mapreduce using threads, but this version is much slower than the sequential version. With a 300MB text file the mapreduce version takes about 80s, with the sequential version it takes significantly less. My question is due to not understanding why, as I have done all the stages of map reduce (split, mapping, shuffle, reduce) but I can't figure out why it is slower, as I have used about 6 threads to do the test. I was thinking that it could be that the creation of threads was expensive compared to the execution time, but since it takes about 80s I think it is clear that this is not the problem. Could you take a look at the code to see what it is? I'm pretty sure that the code works fine, the problem is that I don't know what is causing the slowness. One last thing, when using a text file of more than 300MB, the program fills all the ram memory of my computer, is there any way to optimize it?