I've got a document that needs to be read and updated. Meanwhile, it's quite likely that another process is doing the same which would break the document update.
For example, if Process A reads document d and adds field 'a' to it and writes the document, and Process B reads document d before Process A writes it, and adds field b and writes the document, then whichever process writes the changes out will get their change because it clobbers the change by the one that wrote first.
I've read this article and some other very complicated transaction articles around mongo. Can someone describe a simple solution to this - I have not come across something that makes me comfortable with this yet.
https://www.mongodb.com/blog/post/how-to-select--for-update-inside-mongodb-transactions
[UPDATE]- In addition, I'm trying to augment a document that might not yet exist. I need to create the document if it doesn't exist. I also need to read it to analyze it. One key is "relatedIds" (an array). I push to that array if the id is not found in it. Another method I have that needs to create the document if it doesn't exist adds to a separate collection of objects.
[ANOTHER UPDATE x2] --> From what I've been reading and getting from various sources - is that the only way to properly create a transaction for this - is to "findOneAndModify" the document to mark it as dirty with some field that will definitely update, such as "lock" with an objectId (since that will never result in a NO-OP - ie, it definitely causes a change).
If another operation tries to write to it, Mongo can now detect that this record is already part of a transaction.
Thus anything that writes to it will cause a writeError on that other operation. My transaction can then slowly work on that record and have a lock on it. When it writes it out and commits, that record is definitely not touched by anything else. If there's no way to do this without a transaction for some reason, then am I creating the transaction in the easiest way here?