My general problem: I tend to struggle using ggplot, because it's very data-frame-centric but the objects I work with seem to fit matrices better than data frames. Here is an example (adapted a little).
I have a quantity x that can assume values 0:5, and a "context" that can have values 0 or 1. For each context I have 7 different frequency distributions over the quantity x. (More generally I could have more than two "contexts", more values of x, and more frequency distributions.)
I can represent these 7×2 frequency distributions as a list freqs of two matrices, say:
> freqs
$`context0`
x0 x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
sample1 20 10 10 21 37 2
sample2 34 40 6 10 1 8
sample3 52 4 1 2 17 25
sample4 16 32 25 11 5 10
sample5 28 2 10 4 21 35
sample6 22 13 35 12 13 5
sample7 9 5 43 29 4 10
$`context1`
x0 x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
sample1 15 21 14 15 14 21
sample2 27 8 6 5 29 25
sample3 13 7 5 26 48 0
sample4 33 3 18 11 13 22
sample5 12 23 40 11 2 11
sample6 5 51 2 28 5 9
sample7 3 1 21 10 63 2
or a 3D array.
Or I could use a data.table tablefreqs like this one:
> tablefreqs
context x0 x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
1: 0 20 10 10 21 37 2
2: 0 34 40 6 10 1 8
3: 0 52 4 1 2 17 25
4: 0 16 32 25 11 5 10
5: 0 28 2 10 4 21 35
6: 0 22 13 35 12 13 5
7: 0 9 5 43 29 4 10
8: 1 15 21 14 15 14 21
9: 1 27 8 6 5 29 25
10: 1 13 7 5 26 48 0
11: 1 33 3 18 11 13 22
12: 1 12 23 40 11 2 11
13: 1 5 51 2 28 5 9
14: 1 3 1 21 10 63 2
Now I'd like to draw the following line plot (there's a reason why I need line plots and not, say, histograms or bar plots):
- The 7 frequency distributions for context
0, withxas x-axis and the frequency as y-axis, all in the same line plot (with some alpha). - The 7 frequency distributions for context
1, again withxas x-axis and the frequency as y-axis, all in the same line plot (with alpha), but displayed upside-down below the plot for context0.
Ggplot would surely do this very nicely, but it seems to require some acrobatics with data tables:
– If I use the data table tablefreqs it's not clear to me how to plot all its rows having context==0 in the same plot: ggplot seems to only think column-wise, not row-wise. I could use the six values of x as table rows, but then the "context" values would also end up in a row, and I'm not sure I can subset a data table by values in a row, rather than in a column.
– If I use the matrix freqs, I could create a mini-data-table having x as one column and one frequency distribution as another column, input that into ggplot+geom_line, then go over all 7 frequency distributions in a for-loop maybe. Not clear to me how to tell ggplot to keep the previous plots in this case. Then another for-loop over the two "contexts".
I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to approach this problem in particular, and more generally on what objects to choose for storing this kind of data: matrices? data tables, maybe with a different structure than shown here? some other formats?

