For a Spring MVC project (not Spring Boot) I'm configuring the JSON converter to customise JSON responses of all REST endpoints i.e. removing null fields and setting a date format. After introducing SpringDoc to the project I've had to add a StringHttpMessageConverter to prevent the generated OpenAPI JSON from being returned as a string.
Without the StringHttpMessageConverter the OpenAPI JSON looks like this:
"{\"openapi\":\"3.0.1\",\"info\":{\"title\":\"OpenAPI definition\",\"version\":\"v0\"},\"servers\":[{\"url\":\"http://localhost:8080\",\"description\":\"Generated server url\"}],\"paths\":{\"/get\":{\"get\":{\"tags\":[\"controller\"],\"operationId\":\"getSomeMap\",\"responses\":{\"200\":{\"description\":\"default response\",\"content\":{\"*/*\":{\"schema\":{\"$ref\":\"#/components/schemas/ImmutableMultimapStringString\"}}}}}}}},\"components\":{\"schemas\":{\"ImmutableMultimapStringString\":{\"type\":\"object\",\"properties\":{\"empty\":{\"type\":\"boolean\"}}}}}}"
With the StringHttpMessageConverter it looks like this, which is the desired result:
{"openapi":"3.0.1","info":{"title":"OpenAPI definition","version":"v0"},"servers":[{"url":"http://localhost:8080","description":"Generated server url"}],"paths":{"/get":{"get":{"tags":["controller"],"operationId":"getSomeMap","responses":{"200":{"description":"default response","content":{"*/*":{"schema":{"$ref":"#/components/schemas/ImmutableMultimapStringString"}}}}}}}},"components":{"schemas":{"ImmutableMultimapStringString":{"type":"object","properties":{"empty":{"type":"boolean"}}}}}}
This does however cause problems with several endpoints that return a string as their response. They should return a valid JSON string: "response-string" but instead they return the string as plain text: response-string, omitting the double quotes, making it invalid JSON.
How can I keep the current configuration intact so the SpringDoc OpenAPI JSON is returned correctly while also having endpoints that have a string response return a valid JSON string?
Configuration used:
@Configuration
@EnableWebMvc
public class WebConfig implements WebMvcConfigurer {
@Override
public void addInterceptors(InterceptorRegistry registry) {
WebContentInterceptor webContentInterceptor = new WebContentInterceptor();
webContentInterceptor.setCacheSeconds(0);
webContentInterceptor.setUseExpiresHeader(true);
webContentInterceptor.setUseCacheControlHeader(true);
webContentInterceptor.setUseCacheControlNoStore(true);
registry.addInterceptor(webContentInterceptor);
}
@Override
public void configureContentNegotiation(ContentNegotiationConfigurer configurer) {
Map<String, MediaType> mediaTypes = new HashMap<>();
mediaTypes.put("json", MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON);
mediaTypes.put("xml", MediaType.APPLICATION_XML);
configurer.favorPathExtension(false);
configurer.favorParameter(true);
configurer.mediaTypes(mediaTypes);
configurer.defaultContentType(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON_UTF8);
}
@Override
public void configureDefaultServletHandling(DefaultServletHandlerConfigurer configurer) {
configurer.enable();
}
@Override
public void configureMessageConverters(List<HttpMessageConverter<?>> converters) {
// Note that the order matters here! If the StringHttpMessageConverter is add after the jsonConverter
// the documentation JSON is returned as a giant string instead of a (valid) JSON object
converters.add(new StringHttpMessageConverter());
converters.add(jsonConverter());
}
@Bean
public MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter jsonConverter() {
List<MediaType> supportedMediaTypes = new ArrayList<>();
supportedMediaTypes.add(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON);
Jackson2ObjectMapperBuilder builder = new Jackson2ObjectMapperBuilder();
builder.serializationInclusion(JsonInclude.Include.NON_NULL);
builder.timeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone(timeZone));
MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter jsonConverter = new MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter(
builder.build()
);
jsonConverter.setSupportedMediaTypes(supportedMediaTypes);
return jsonConverter;
}
@Bean
public Jaxb2Marshaller jaxb2Marshaller() {
Jaxb2Marshaller jaxb2Marshaller = new Jaxb2Marshaller();
jaxb2Marshaller.setClassesToBeBound(KioskProfiel.class, KioskProfielRegel.class, TitlesetTO.class, TitlesetTitel.class);
return jaxb2Marshaller;
}
@Bean
public MarshallingHttpMessageConverter marshallingConverter() {
List<MediaType> supportedMediaTypes = new ArrayList<>();
supportedMediaTypes.add(MediaType.APPLICATION_XML);
MarshallingHttpMessageConverter marshallingConverter = new MarshallingHttpMessageConverter(jaxb2Marshaller());
marshallingConverter.setSupportedMediaTypes(supportedMediaTypes);
return marshallingConverter;
}
}
Edit
I've tried overriding the OpenApiResource setting the produces value of the endpoint to TEXT_PLAIN_VALUE and too application/json but the problem still persists. Attempting to change the return type from String to TextNode isn't allowed so that doesn't seem to be an option.
Alternatively I've tried to resolve the problem by registering a Filter to correct the malformed response but that to doesn't work.
Maybe I'm still missing something but I'm out of options. With my current project configuration I can't get SpringDoc to return valid OpenAPI JSON when using a custom MappingJackson2HttpMessageConverter. For now I'll stick to Swagger 2.0 and will look into an alternative library to move to OpenAPI 3.0.