I have a simple implementation, or an attempt at one, of a messaging system just to show an alert of a message to different users. I'm using https://www.npmjs.com/package/vue-socket.io Vue Socket Io but it's just a socket.io. I am attempting to have the client subscribe to an event in mounted. The name is based on their userID. The problem is that my implementation below doesn't work to show the alerts. I can see the event being subscribed to in mount and I can see sending message console log in the server so I know that is getting fired but I don't see the alert being triggered by the emit(Chat_....
server:
io.on('connection', function(socket) {
socket.on('sendMessage', function (data) {
console.log("Sending message to" + data.user);
socket.emit(`CHAT_${data.user}`, data.msg)
});
});
client:
On the client, the userIDSelf is a user ID that is passed in as a prop. It's the User's logged in ID and in mounted, they automatically subscribe to the a chat channel with their userid appended to it, like a custom channel.
mounted() {
this.sockets.subscribe(`CHAT_${this.userIDSelf}`, (data) => {
alert(data)
});
},
there is a function sendMessage that takes the values from 2 inputs (not seen) in the template. You have to enter a user ID on who you want the message sent to and then another input with the actual message. These are sent over to the backend server listed above.
methods: {
sendMessage() {
this.$socket.emit('sendMessage', {user: this.userIDReceiver, msg: this.message})
},
}