I have always found iomanip confusing and counter intuitive. I need help.
A quick internet search finds (https://www.vedantu.com/maths/precision) "We thus consider precision as the maximum number of significant digits after the decimal point in a decimal number" (the emphasis is mine). That matches my understanding too. However I wrote a test program and:
stm << std::setprecision(3) << 5.12345678;
std::cout << "5.12345678: " << stm.str() << std::endl;
stm.str("");
stm << std::setprecision(3) << 25.12345678;
std::cout << "25.12345678: " << stm.str() << std::endl;
stm.str("");
stm << std::setprecision(3) << 5.1;
std::cout << "5.1: " << stm.str() << std::endl;
stm.str("");
outputs:
5.12345678: 5.12
25.12345678: 25.1
5.1: 5.1
If the precision is 3 then the output should be:
5.12345678: 5.123
25.12345678: 25.123
5.1: 5.1
Clearly the C++ standard has a different interpretation of the meaning of "precision" as relates to floating point numbers.
If I do:
stm.setf(std::ios::fixed, std::ios::floatfield);
then the first two values are formatted correctly, but the last comes out as 5.100.
How do I set the precision without padding?