Set Discord Web App to run at boot in Raspbian 10 Buster

Viewed 260

Would like to get Discord to run on boot in full screen mode.

What I am using:

  • Raspberry Pi 4 8gb
  • Raspbian 10 Buster
  • Pi Apps(current) distribution of
  • Discord WebApp(current)

What I have tried:

  • rc.local
  • .bash
  • init.d

Not sure if I am following the directions wrong, or because it is a desktop app rather than a .py?

For reference I have tried following these instructions inserting:

usr/shr/applications/electron-dsicord-webapp.desktop

where it lists sample.py

https://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/run-a-program-on-your-raspberry-pi-at-startup/

Anyway, is it possible to script it to run on boot; is it also possible to make it go auto full screen?

Thanks,

1 Answers
  1. Create the file /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and parent directories if not already there:
$ mkdir -p /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE
$ touch /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
  1. Create a script:
$ sudo nano /bin/fullscreendiscord

and then add the following:

#!/bin/bash

# open Discord in the background
discord &
# find Discord and then execute ctrl+shift+F (fullscreen on Discord)
sleep 6 ; xdotool search --sync --onlyvisible --class "Discord" windowactivate key ctrl+shift+F
  1. Add the script to the autostart file:
$ echo '@fullscreendiscord' >> /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
  1. Reboot to apply the changes
$ sudo reboot

NOTE:

I am expecting that you have Discord installed as a desktop application

If you want to run discord on Firefox, replace /bin/fullscreendiscord with

#!/bin/bash

# open Firefox with Discord open in the background
firefox https://discord.com/app &
# find Firefox and then execute F11
sleep 1 ; xdotool search --sync --onlyvisible --class "Firefox" windowactivate key F11
Related