How to delete a contributor on GitHub repository page?

Viewed 1016

I have multiple GitHub accounts, say A and B, and I'm in a project at the remote repository of A. Yesterday, I was surprised to find that there was somehow the account name of B on the Contributors list at the repository page of A.

I checked the commit log and I found that there was somehow the name of B signed for some of the commits. So I used git filter-repo command to forcibly rewrite the Author name and Committer name and email address from those of B to those of A.

Then, I forcibly pushed it with git push -f origin and I confirmed that the commit log of a remote repository of A was completely rewritten as I expected.

However, there still remains B's name in the Contributors list at the repository of A.

Anyway, I want to delete B's name from Contributors list at A's repository page, because I don't want to let anybody know that the owner of A account is identical to that of B account.

I would appreciate if you give me some advice.

1 Answers

I tested this, GitHub appears to treat the list of "Contributors" as append-only: whenever it sees a new one, it adds it to the list, but it never removes from that list. See this repo which lists someone who never committed in the Contributors list, despite only having one commit (that they didn't author). I did this by pushing a commit as myself, then pushing one as torvalds, then force-pushing back to my commit. Despite this, GitHub still shows torvalds as a contributor.

Go to the full "Contributors" graph in the insights tab, and check if B listed there. The data for this graph is always calculated using the actual commit graph. If B is listed there, then GitHub still thinks B did make some commits. In that case, you should double-check that you fixed all commits belonging to B. Click on "N commits" to see what commits GitHub thinks B did: Arrow pointing to "1 commit" on top of a graph

If no commits are attributed to B, contact GitHub support (I think Remove data from a repository I own or control would be the right topic to select) and ask them to re-generate the Contributors list.

Related