How do you edit an existing SPF entry in Google Domains?

Viewed 2033

I purchased my domain through Google Domains. It's awesome because you get up and running with almost everything pre-configured for you.

Until you want to change a few things!

I'm using AWS SES to send emails from my platform through this domain. This means I need to tell DNS to allow SES to send emails on behalf of this domain by adding an SPF record.

According to RFC4408 a domain cannot have multiple SPF records. And this is where things get complicated.

Out of the box, Google Domains gives you pre-configured Synthetic Records, SPF being one of them:

enter image description here

There is no way to edit these pre-configured Synthetic Records and clicking on the Delete button feels intimidating.

There is a section to add Customer DNS Records but that would mean that RFC4408 would be violated.

How do you resolve this?

1 Answers

I don't think you have any choice; you need to scrap what they provide and build your own set manually. It shouldn't take you long – there are not many records there. You can probably drop the SPF-type record safely, leaving just the TXT one.

The RFC violation is a factor, but the practical reality is that no receiver will check for more than one SPF record (because of the RFC), so it wouldn't help even if you did add multiple SPF records.

Most important though – keep an accurate record of exactly how it was originally configured so that you can get back to it easily!

Related