I posted a question about some pointer issues I've been having earlier in this question: C int pointer segmentation fault several scenarios, can't explain behaviour
From some of the comments, I've been led to believe that the following:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
int *p;
*p = 1;
printf("%d\n", *p);
return 0;
}
is undefined behaviour. Is this true? I do this all the time, and I've even seen it in my C course. However, when I do
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
int *p=NULL;
*p = 1;
printf("%d\n", *p);
return 0;
}
I get a seg fault right before printing the contents of p (after the line *p=1;). Does this mean I should have always been mallocing any time I actually assign a value for a pointer to point to?
If that's the case, then why does char *string = "this is a string" always work?
I'm quite confused, please help!