Are private transactions possible in Ethereum?

Viewed 3122

I'm trying to learn about ethereum technology and posibilites and I'd like get some info about this. I'm just a totally begginer at this so please, excuse me if I'm asking something stupid.

Let's say I want to use ethereum to exchange assests between several vendors. According to what I have read all the transactions are shared in the blockchain, so the amount transfered could be seen for everyone and everyone could see that transfer has happened.

Let say I have to providers A and B. I'd like to be able to have transactions with A without B knowing the amount of the transaction or even the existence of the transaction.

Is that even possible?

I have red that could be done with hyperledger fabric and something called Channels. Is that true? IS there any way to do the same with Ethereum?

Thanks a lot in advance

2 Answers

Ethereum supports private transaction in Solidity smart contracts and crypto primitives in those smart contracts. You just need to program your smart contract to take advantage of those. Some privacy-focused solutions are purely on-chain (TornadoCash) while other solutions need somebody to run layer two specific node software.

Here are some examples

  • TornadoCash - private transactions for ETH and any ERC-20 token

  • Aztec - layer 2 scaling and private transaction solution on the top of Ethereum

  • zkSync - layer 2 scaling and private transaction solution on the top of Ethereum

There is no analogue of the channel mechanism in the Etherleum like in the Hyperleger Fabric. In fact, each channel in HL Fabric is a separate permissioned blockchain.

To close the content of transactions in Ethereum, there are special "add-ons", such as a Tessera in Quorum, which provide work with private contracts.

Related