So, I have a task where I need to measure the similarity between two texts. These texts are short descriptions of products from a grocery store. They always include a name of a product (for example, milk), and they may include a producer and/or size, and maybe some other characteristics of a product.
I have a whole set of such texts, and then, when a new one arrives, I need to determine whether there are similar products in my database and measure how similar they are (on a scale from 0 to 100%).
The thing is: the texts may be in two different languages: Ukrainian and Russian. Also, if there is a foreign brand (like, Coca Cola), it will be written in English.
My initial idea on solving this task was to get multilingual word embeddings (where similar words in different languages are located nearby) and find the distance between those texts. However, I am not sure how efficient this will be, and if it is ok, what to start with.
Because each text I have is just a set of product characteristics, some word embeddings based on a context may not work (I'm not sure in this statement, it is just my assumption).
So far, I have tried to get familiar with the MUSE framework, but I encountered an issue with faiss installation.
Hence, my questions are:
- Is my idea with word embeddings worth trying?
- Is there maybe a better approach?
- If the idea with word embeddings is okay, which ones should I use?
Note: I have Windows 10 (in case some libraries don't work on Windows), and I need the library to work with Ukrainian and Russian languages.
Thanks in advance for any help! Any advice would be highly appreciated!