I'm wondering if anyone can help with my issue, here's the setup:
- We have 2 separate kubernetes clusters in GKE, running on v1.17, and they each sit in a separate project
- We have set up VPC peering between the two projects
- On cluster 1, we have 'service1' which is exposed by an internal HTTPS load balancer, we don't want this to be public
- On cluster 2, we intend on being able to access 'service1' via the internal load balancer, and it should do this over the VPC peering connection between the two projects
Here's the issue: When I'm connected via SSH on a GKE node on cluster 2, I can successfully run a curl request to access https://service1.domain.com running on cluster 1, and get the expected response, so traffic is definitely routing from cluster 2 > cluster 1. However, when I'm running the same curl command from a POD, running on a GKE node, the same curl request times out.
I have run as much troubleshooting as I can including telnet, traceroute etc and I'm really stuck why this might be. If anyone can shed light on the difference here that would be great.
I did wonder whether pod networking is somehow forwarding traffic over the clusters public IP rather than over the VPC peering connection.