Android TV app can't be installed on Android TV devices

Viewed 1377

I have already published app on Google Play Store. It can't be found in Google Play Store app on any device running Android TV which I tried. I can find it on Google Play by using its name, but there it can't be installed on my Android TV devices. There are 649 marked as supported devices in the Play Console for this app. I have even one device marked as supported on my device list. It is Google Chromecast Google TV. But it is also not compatible and I can't install my app also on this device. Does anyone experience something like this in the case of Android TV app?

Here is my manifest.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
    package="com.xxx">

    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />

    <uses-feature
        android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen"
        android:required="false" />
    <uses-feature
        android:name="android.software.leanback"
        android:required="true" />

    <application
        android:allowBackup="true"
        android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher"
        android:label="@string/app_name"
        android:supportsRtl="true"
        android:theme="@style/Theme.Leanback">
        <activity
            android:name=".MainActivity"
            android:banner="@mipmap/icon_androidtv"
            android:icon="@mipmap/icon_androidtv"
            android:label="@string/app_name"
            android:logo="@mipmap/icon_androidtv">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
    </application>

</manifest>

Yes, my app is soo simple. There is only one view with a single WebView on it. And of course, the app can be installed on any Android TV device directly from Android Studio. Should I change something in the AndroidManifest to make it compatible with Android TV devices?

2 Answers

For distribution to Android TV devices, you need to opt-in within Google Play. In the Play Console, go to the Setup section within the Release grouping in the left hand menu. Select Advanced settings and switch to the Release types tab. Click "+ Add release type" and select Android TV. You have to include the required screenshots and banner for TV distribution.

Note that Android TV requires an additional review to validate TV App Quality.

enter image description here

In the current play console this is how it looks, the steps described by Ian

Related