I found the Arb library, which should be able to compute very high precision values of sine, given enough time. However, I am unable to.
Trying the sine example, I could get the predicted output.
However, when I tried to increase the precision by increasing the number of bits from 4096 to 32768, I was unable to:
Using 64 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 2.67e+859]
Using 128 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 1.30e+840]
Using 256 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 3.60e+801]
Using 512 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 3.01e+724]
Using 1024 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 2.18e+570]
Using 2048 bits, sin(x) = [+/- 1.22e+262]
Using 4096 bits, sin(x) = [-0.7190842207 +/- 1.20e-11]
Using 8192 bits, sin(x) = [-0.7190842207 +/- 1.20e-11]
Using 16384 bits, sin(x) = [-0.7190842207 +/- 1.20e-11]
Using 32768 bits, sin(x) = [-0.7190842207 +/- 1.20e-11]
The given example has x = 2016.1.
With x = 0.1, we get the following output:
Using 64 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 128 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 256 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 512 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 1024 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 2048 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 4096 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 8192 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 16384 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
Using 32768 bits, sin(x) = [0.09983341665 +/- 3.18e-12]
This precision seems to be less than even the sin function of math.h.
I would like to increase the precision to say e-40 (or any other precision). I would be most grateful if someone could guide me .
The code:
#include "arb.h"
void arb_sin_naive(arb_t res, const arb_t x, slong prec)
{
arb_t s, t, u, tol;
slong k;
arb_init(s); arb_init(t); arb_init(u); arb_init(tol);
arb_one(tol);
arb_mul_2exp_si(tol, tol, -prec); /* tol = 2^-prec */
for (k = 0; ; k++)
{
arb_pow_ui(t, x, 2 * k + 1, prec);
arb_fac_ui(u, 2 * k + 1, prec);
arb_div(t, t, u, prec); /* t = x^(2k+1) / (2k+1)! */
arb_abs(u, t);
if (arb_le(u, tol)) /* if |t| <= 2^-prec */
{
arb_add_error(s, u); /* add |t| to the radius and stop */
break;
}
if (k % 2 == 0)
arb_add(s, s, t, prec);
else
arb_sub(s, s, t, prec);
}
arb_set(res, s);
arb_clear(s); arb_clear(t); arb_clear(u); arb_clear(tol);
}
void main()
{
arb_t x, y;
slong prec;
arb_init(x); arb_init(y);
for (prec = 64; prec <= 32768 ; prec *= 2)
{
arb_set_str(x, "0.1", prec);
arb_sin_naive(y, x, prec);
printf("Using %5ld bits, sin(x) = ", prec);
arb_printn(y, 10, 0); printf("\n");
}
arb_clear(x); arb_clear(y);
}