I am using lmertree to fit a degradation model of the form
ln(y)=offset(ln(t0_value))+b*time
where y is the outcome of interest, t0_value is the initial concentration of the substance at time 0, b is the parameter to be estimated and time is a variable measuring time. This is a longitudinal study, therefore there exist an id variable which indexes measures form the same subject (HC), and finally some covariates a the level of the subject (i.e non time dependent) which are of interest.
I have being experimenting different kinds of lmertree models and exploring different options in the function, and I got confused with the options ranefstart and offset, in particular, if I set ranefstart=T I get stunningly different results from that when ranefstart=NULL
Now I show some of the code used to fit the models:
lmm_tree1 <- lmertree(log(y) ~-1+ time | ((-1+time)|HC) |
TD+EP2+DFA+DTCX+TIF+SCV,
data = z0l,
offset = log(z0l[,"value_t0"]),
ranefstart =T)
lmm_tree2 <- lmertree(log(y) ~-1+ time | ((-1+time)|HC) |
TD+EP2+DFA+DTCX+TIF+SCV,
data = z0l,
offset = log(z0l[,"value_t0"]),
ranefstart =NULL)
lmm_tree <- lmertree(log(y) ~-1+ time | ((-1+time)|HC) |
TD+EP2+DFA+DTCX+TIF+SCV,
data = z0l,
offset = log(z0l[,"value_t0"]),
ranefstart = z0l[,"value_t0"])
Note that I have eliminated the intercept and used the offset option to specify the model that I want.
Models lmm_tree2 and lmm_tree3 are very similar (they differ in depth but splits criteria are quite similar), however, model lmm_tree1 has only one node.
The question is: when and why should I use the ranefstart option?