This is the first time I interact with a database or with sqlplus, but I'm coursing a subject called Data Bases in my college and we were told to install sqlplus with no further assistance and "to type sqlplus with the user SYS and the password we choosed during the installation", so I followed the described procedure to install it in my Ubuntu 18.04 computer in the upvoted question here https://askubuntu.com/questions/159939/how-to-install-sqlplus and everything worked out fine, except that I wasn't asked to write a password, and when I tried the instruction my professor gave me (to type sqlplus with the user SYS) I get the error ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified.
After a long time reading, I jumped into the conclusion that I should export my SID, and I exported the one described here: http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_12162_tns_net_service_name.htm
ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle; export ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_SID=asdb; export ORACLE_SID
but that didn't work either, and I read I should export my SIDE, which I tried to find by writing
sqlplus \nolog
SELECT instance FROM v$thread;
but then I get SP2-0640: Not connected, so I don't really get what I'm suppose to do when my professor asks us to type sqlplus (I think is to connect with my own database that I installed when I installed sqlplus, but I'm not sure) and why is not working.
When I exposed the whole problem to my professor he extended the assignment due time in one day, but just that.