There is some case where I don't understand how foldr and foldl are used in function.
Here is a couple of example, I then explain why I don't understand them:
-- Two implementation of filter and map
map' f = foldr (\x acc -> (f x):acc) []
map'' f xs = foldl (\acc x -> acc ++ [(f x)]) [] xs
filter' f xs = foldr(\x acc -> if(f x) then x:acc else acc) [] xs
filter'' f = foldl(\acc x -> if(f x) then acc++[x] else acc) []
Why does map'' makes the use of xs but non map'? Shouldn't map' need a list for the list comprehension formula as well?
Same case for filter' vs filter''.
Here is an implementation which insert elements in a sorted sequence:
insert e [] = [e]
insert e (x:xs)
| e > x = x: insert e xs
| otherwise = e:x:xs
sortInsertion xs = foldr insert [] xs
sortInsertion'' xs = foldl (flip insert) [] xs
Why are the argument for insert flipped in sortInsertion ([] xs) (empty list and list) compare to the definition of insert(e []) (element and empty list)