I have a program that runs on a multi-thread framework with Linux kernel 4.18 and Intel CPU. I ran perf record -p pid -g -e cycles:u --call-graph lbr -F 99 -- sleep 20 to collect stack trace and generate flame graph.
My program was running under a low workload, so the time spent on futex_wait is expected. But the top of the stack is a kernel function native_write_msr. According to What does native_write_msr in kernel do? and https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.18/source/arch/x86/include/asm/msr.h#L103, this function is used for performance counters. I have disabled the tracepoint in native_write_msr.
And pidstat -p pid 1 told me that the system CPU usage is quite low.
05:44:34 PM UID PID %usr %system %guest %CPU CPU Command
05:44:35 PM 1001 67441 60.00 4.00 0.00 64.00 11 my_profram
05:44:36 PM 1001 67441 58.00 7.00 0.00 65.00 11 my_profram
05:44:37 PM 1001 67441 61.00 3.00 0.00 64.00 11 my_profram
My questions are
- Why does
native_write_msrappear so many times in the stack traces (as a result, it occupies a large space in the flame graph for about 80%). Is it a block operation, or it realeases the CPU when called? - Why is the system CPU usage relatively low against the frame graph? According to the graph, 80% of the CPU time should belong to
%systeminstead of%usr.
Any help is appreciated. If I miss any useful infomation, please comment.
Thank you very much!
