I have a project where I'm displaying cards that contain attributes of a person in a textfield, and the user can edit the textfield to directly change that person's attribute values. However every time they're editing the textfield it causes a rerender of all cards which slows down the app. Here is an example:
export default Parent() {
const [personList, setPersonList] = useState(/* list of person objects*/);
const modifyPerson(index, property, value) {
const newPersonList = _.cloneDeep(personList);
newPersonList[index][property] = value;
setPersonList(newPersonList);
}
const children = personList.map((person, index) => {
<Person
modifyPerson={modifyPerson}
index=index
/*properties on the person */
/>
});
return <div> {children} </div>
}
export default Person(props) {
const fields = /* assume a list of these textfields for each property */
<TextField
value={props.name}
onChange={(e) => modifyPerson(props.index,"name",e.target.value)}
value={props.name} >
return {fields};
}
So essentially when the child's text field is updated, it triggers a state change in the parent that stores the new value, then refreshes what the Child looks like. There's no button that the user clicks to "save" the values-- as soon as they edit the textfield it's a permanent change. And also the parent needs to know the new values of every Person because there's some functions that require knowledge of the current state of the person list. The Person component contains images that slow down the rendering if done inefficiently.
Is there a better way to make this design more performant and reduce rerenders? I attempted to use useCallback to preserve the functions but I don't it works in this specific design because the property and values are different-- do I have to create a new "modifyPerson" for each exact attribute?