I am writing an Othello game using Swing, here's the general code: (The snippet does not include the cases for game end/same player goes again, it's just the basic gameplay loop.)
View/Controller:
public class OthelloGUI extends JFrame {
JSquare[][] board;
final int BOARD_SIZE = 8;
OthelloModel model;
public OthelloGUI(OthelloModel m) {
model = m;
/* Window size, etc... */
setLayout(new GridLayout(BOARD_SIZE, BOARD_SIZE));
//add 8x8 buttons to GUI
ActionListener ml = new MoveListener();
board = new JSquare[BOARD_SIZE][BOARD_SIZE];
for (int i = 0; i < BOARD_SIZE; i++) {
for (int j = 0; j < BOARD_SIZE; j++) {
getContentPane.add(board[i][j] = new JSquare(new Point(i, j)));
board[i][j].addActionListener(ml);
}
}
update();
}
void update() {
//update GUI to reflect last move
for (int i = 0; i < BOARD_SIZE; i++) {
for (int j = 0; j < BOARD_SIZE; j++) {
//changes the JButton's text based on who owns it on the model's board
board[i][j].setText(model.getOwner(i, j).view());
}
}
//best place (I think) to have AI move is after the last move is processed
if (model.getCurrentPlayerType() == PlayerType.AI) {
//Computer player finds its next move, and clicks that button
int[] bestMove = GreedyAI.findMove(model);
board[bestMove[0]][bestMove[1]].doCLick();
}
}
static class JSquare extends JButton {
java.awt.Point p;
JSquare (Point p) {this.p = p;}
}
class MoveListener implements ActionListener {
@Override
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
JSquare sq = (JSquare) e.getSource();
//places the piece on the model's "board" and flips all applicable pieces
int result = model.placeDisk(s.p, model.getCurrentColor());
if (result == 0) {//move executes successfully
update();
}
//otherwise... (illegal move, game end, same player again, etc...)
}
}
}
enum Owner {
NONE, BLACK, WHITE;
public String view() {
return this == BLACK ? "B" : this == WHITE ? "W" : ""
}
}
This code executes fine if I start a Human v Human or Human v AI game, however, if I start an AI v AI game, the GUI never renders. I get the popup box for game setup, and the popup for the game end and who won, but the main ContentPane with the board never renders, so I don't see what moves the AI make.
Any ideas/suggestions?