Do I have to use the default google API authentication in a Java client application accessing a public sheet?

Viewed 78

I'm creating a open source Java client application and I don't want to get data from a public read, only google sheet.

The users don't have to verify/login so I was wondering if there would be a way without any authentication at all.

If this isn't possible it would help a lot if someone could explain how I can create read only credentials for this one sheet.

1 Answers

In order to use Google APIs you need to identify your application to Google in all calls. This is because they need to know which application is using their api in order to avoid spamming or overloading of the server. In the event of private user data this is done by the credentials created when the user signed in. However with public data you can use an APK key this will only allow you read only access. You won't be able to write to anything unless you are authorised using Oauth, so as long as you are reading this sheet and only reading then you should be fine using an API Key.

However due to the fact that your project is open source you will not be allowed to include this API key in your project as its against Google's TOS. You will need to instruct your users on how to create their own API key. Can i really not include an API key in my open sorce project. which they can then use with your project.

Related