I have a polyline composed of multiple line segments. The line is very complex and squiggles all over the place in 3D, so for simplicity's sake let's say it looks something like this
I want to render it in 3D. Currently, I do a very simple process where I just generate a cylinder for each segment:
This is decent, but looks bad where the line changes direction. It is also wasteful - each of the direction changes requires twices as many vertices as is strictly necessary. I would be much happier with an approach that generated shapes like this:
At first I didn't think it would be too hard, but the more I've worked on it the more I've found it to be surprisingly nontrivial. I'm working in C#, and if this were in 2D I would just use Clipper, but I can't find any libraries or resources for how to solve this problem in 3D. It's okay if the solution isn't always perfect or sometimes leads to self-intersections or things of that nature. Anyone have any guidance?







