I am not sure if this is an issue of react-leaflet-markercluster, react-leaflet, leaflet, react, or my code.
I have a map with several thousand markers and I am using react-leaflet-markercluster for marker clustering. If I need to update a global state of MapComponent, there is 1-3 seconds delay when this change is reflected.
I created a codesandox with 5000 markers and you can see there 2 use cases with performance issues:
1.) MapComponent is inside react-reflex element, that allows resizing panel and propagates new dimensions (width, height) to MapComponent. If width and height are changed, mapRef.invalidateSize() is called to update map dimensions. Resizing is extremely slow.
2.) If user clicks on Marker, global state selected is updated. It is a list of clicked marker ids. Map calls fitBounds method to focus on clicked marker and also marker icon is changed. There is around 1 second delay.
In my project, if I need to change a MapComponent state, it takes 2-3 seconds in dev mode when changes are reflected and it is just a single rerender of MapComponent and its elements (markers).
I took a look at Chrome performance profile and it seems like most time is spent in internal React methods.
It is possible to fix this by preventing rerendering using memo, which is similar to shouldComponentUpdate, but it makes whole code base too complicated. preferCanvas option doesn't change anything. I am wondering what is a good way to fix these issues.