AvaloniaUI Styles-pseudoclasses

Viewed 1898

I'm trying out styles in avalonia and most works, except for pseudoclasses, they just get ignored.

I have created a window and all styles are in there and I have created a user control (with a button on - the pseudoclasses are on the button), using the styles. I do not use code, only xaml to define the styles.

I have tried it out in the "Style Selector" for the button as "Button:pseudoclassname" and "Button.le:pseudoclassname". I have also tried "Button:pointerover" and "Button:hover" as the documentation mentions that that could be modified. No result. The styles for the pseudoclasses are all ignored, the others are all executed correct.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bug in avalonia ?

The xaml windows file:

<Window xmlns="https://github.com/avaloniaui"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:views="clr-namespace:Hub.Views"
        xmlns:vm="using:Hub.ViewModels"
        xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
        xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
        mc:Ignorable="d" d:DesignWidth="800" d:DesignHeight="450"
        x:Class="Hub.Views.MainWindow"
        Icon="/Assets/avalonia-logo.ico"
        Width="200" Height="300"
        Title="Hub"
        Classes="le">

    <Window.Styles>
        <Style Selector="Window.le">
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="#191919"/>
        </Style>
        <Style Selector="Button.le">
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="green"/>
            <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="white"/>
        </Style>
        <Style Selector="Button.le:pointerover">
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="red"/>
            <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="white"/>
        </Style>
        <Style Selector="Button.le:pressed">
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="blue"/>
            <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="white"/>
        </Style>
        <Style Selector="TextBlock.le_update">
            <Setter Property="FontStyle" Value="Italic"/>
            <Setter Property="FontSize" Value="17"/>
            <Setter Property="FontFamily" Value="Arial, Verdana"/>
            <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="white"/>
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="transparent"/>
        </Style>
    </Window.Styles>
    
    <views:UpdateView/>

</Window>

The xaml user control file:

<UserControl xmlns="https://github.com/avaloniaui"
             xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
             xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
             xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
             mc:Ignorable="d" d:DesignWidth="800" d:DesignHeight="450"
             x:Class="Hub.Views.UpdateView">
    <DockPanel>
        <StackPanel DockPanel.Dock="Bottom">
            <Button Classes="le" HorizontalAlignment="Center" HorizontalContentAlignment="Center" Width="300">
                Check for updates
            </Button>
        </StackPanel>
        <StackPanel Spacing="5" Margin="5">
            <TextBlock Classes="le_update" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Margin="4">
                No updates for Hub.
            </TextBlock>
            <TextBlock Classes="le_update" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Margin="4">
                No updates for Engine.
            </TextBlock>
        </StackPanel>
    </DockPanel>
</UserControl>

2 Answers

Button's Background property does get affected by your style, but at that point it has no effect on the actual Button's background, because Background property controls only the normal state of the button.

If you take a look at the default Button style here you can see that it passes its background to ContentPresenter via TemplateBinding:

    <Setter Property="Template">
      <ControlTemplate>
        <ContentPresenter x:Name="PART_ContentPresenter"
                          Background="{TemplateBinding Background}"

but overrides ContentPresenter's background in a style like this:

  <Style Selector="Button:pointerover /template/ ContentPresenter#PART_ContentPresenter">
    <Setter Property="Background" Value="{DynamicResource ButtonBackgroundPointerOver}" />

Since it's ContentPresenter that actually draws the background (Button is a lookless control), you'll see the button to have ButtonBackgroundPointerOver and not the Button's Background property value.

So, you need to write a style that changes the inner ContentPresenter like this:

<Style Selector="Button.le:pointerover /template/ ContentPresenter#PART_ContentPresenter">
  <Setter Property="Background" Value="green" />
</Style>

Unfortunately that makes your styles theme-dependent since control templates are different between default and fluent themes.

The answer Kekekeks gave is the correct one for the question I asked.

However, I use this space in the hope to help novice users of avalonia with no background in xaml at all, like I do. Most of us look at avalonia to give our apps an interface that works on Windows/Mac/Linux. To be honest, at the moment of writing, no real alternatives in c# exist.

At this moment Avalonia does have examples and some documentation that is good, but not so for people not really having a background in xaml.

Therefore, go to Udemy or LikedIn.Learning or Youtube or wherever you find a good course on WPF AND AFTER THAT go to the documentation of Avalonia and start playing around.

The similarities that both (Avalonia and WPF) share is enormous !!! And yes it is mentioned a few times in the docs, but a blunt "Do go and learn WPF first if you are new to xaml !" on the frontpage of the documentation would have saved me a fair share of time in trying to find it all out via the website.

Fair is fair, the project still is in beta and the website is already well documented for that stage, so no blame to the team !

Related