I am very new to Javascript and am writing a little webapp that, among other things, generates random strings (used for visualisation, doesn't need to be perfectly random).
The site consists of three divs, which each should generate a random string. On pageload, the divs display 20 hyphens as visual placeholders. Within each div I then want to replace one hyphen after the other with a random character, waiting 100ms between each iteration.
I got this working just fine with one div. But as soon as I do this with multiple divs, each randomly generated character gets immediately overwritten by the almost simultaneously randomly generated character in the following div.
I also added a console.log, so you can see that initially, each div generates a random character, but then the third div overwrites the character in the two other divs.
I'm assuming this is something I'm just not getting yet, so my question:
How can I keep this from happening, so that each div keeps its own string (and why is this happening in the first place)?
Thanks for your help, let me know if you need anything else!
const placeholderLength = 20;
let valueForm = [],
valueModus = [],
valueInhalt = [],
placeholder = [];
let valueJoined;
const outputForm = document.getElementById("outputForm");
const outputModus = document.getElementById("outputModus");
const outputInhalt = document.getElementById("outputInhalt");
const randomCharacter = () => {
const characters =
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789 ";
return characters.charAt(Math.floor(Math.random() * characters.length));
};
const initialValues = (value, destination, identifier) => {
let i = 0;
const loop = () => {
setTimeout(() => {
value[i] = randomCharacter();
valueJoined = value.join("");
destination.innerHTML = valueJoined;
i++;
if (i < placeholderLength) {
loop();
}
console.log(identifier, valueJoined);
}, 100);
};
loop();
};
const main = () => {
for (let i = 0; i < placeholderLength; i++) {
placeholder.push("-");
}
valueForm = valueModus = valueInhalt = placeholder;
initialValues(valueForm, outputForm, "value 1");
initialValues(valueModus, outputModus, "value 2");
initialValues(valueInhalt, outputInhalt, "value 3");
};
main();
.output {
font-family: monospace;
letter-spacing: 1px;
}
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css" />
<title>Document</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Random Values</h1>
<h2>Value 1</h2>
<div id="outputForm" class="output"></div>
<h2>Value 2</h2>
<div id="outputModus" class="output"></div>
<h2>Value 3</h2>
<div id="outputInhalt" class="output"></div>
</body>
<script src="app.js"></script>
</html>