Program's Purpose: Rune Cipher
Note - I am linking to my Own Github page below (it is only for purpose-purpose (no joke intended; it is only for the purpose of showing the purpose of it - what I needed help with (and got help, thanks once again to all of you!)
Final Edit:
I have now (thanks to the Extremely Useful answers provided by the Extremely Amazing People) Completed the project I've been working on; and - for future readers I am also providing the full code.
Again, This wouldn't have been possible without all the help I got from the guys below, thanks to them - once again!
Original code on GitHub
Code
(Shortened down a bit)
#include <stdio.h>
#include <locale.h>
#include <wchar.h>
#define UNICODE_BLOCK_START 0x16A0
#define UUICODE_BLOCK_END 0x16F1
int main(){
setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
wchar_t SUBALPHA[]=L"ᛠᚣᚫᛞᛟᛝᛚᛗᛖᛒᛏᛋᛉᛈᛇᛂᛁᚾᚻᚹᚷᚳᚱᚩᚦᚢ";
wchar_t DATA[]=L"hello";
int lenofData=0;
int i=0;
while(DATA[i]!='\0'){
lenofData++; i++;
}
for(int i=0; i<lenofData; i++) {
printf("DATA[%d]=%lc",i,DATA[i]);
DATA[i]=SUBALPHA[i];
printf(" is now Replaced by %lc\n",DATA[i]);
} printf("%ls",DATA);
return 0;
}
Output:
DATA[0]=h is now Replaced by ᛠ DATA[1]=e is now Replaced by ᚣ DATA[2]=l is now Replaced by ᚫ DATA[3]=l is now Replaced by ᛞ DATA[4]=o is now Replaced by ᛟ ᛠᚣᚫᛞᛟ
Question continues below
(Note that it's solved, see Accepted answer!)
In Python3 it is easy to print runes:
for i in range(5794,5855):
print(chr(i))
outputs
ᚢ ᚣ (..) ᛝ ᛞ
How to do that in C ?
- using variables (char, char arrays[], int, ...)
Is there a way to e.g print ᛘᛙᛚᛛᛜᛝᛞ as individual characters?
When I try it, it just prints out both warnings about multi-character character constant 'ᛟ'.
I have tried having them as an array of char, a "string" (e.g char s1 = "ᛟᛒᛓ";)
- And then print out the first
(ᛟ)char of s1:printf("%c", s1[0]);Now, this might seem very wrong to others.
One Example of how I thought of going with this:
Print a rune as "a individual character":
To print e.g 'A'
printf("%c", 65); // 'A'
How do I do that, (if possible) but with a Rune ?
I have as well as tried printing it's digit value to char, which results in question marks, and - other, "undefined" results.
As I do not really remember exactly all the things I've tried so far, I will try my best to formulate this post.
If someone spots a a very easy (maybe, to him/her - even plain-obvious) solution(or trick/workaround) -
I would be super happy if you could point it out! Thanks!
This has bugged me for quite a while now, It works in python though - and it works (as far as I know) in c if you just "print" it (not trough any variable) but, e.g: printf("ᛟ"); this works, but as I said I want to do the same thing but, trough variables. (like, char runes[]="ᛋᛟ";) and then: printf("%c", runes[0]); // to get 'ᛋ' as the output
(Or similar, it does not need to be %c, as well as it does not need to be a char array/char variable) I am just trying to understand how to - do the above, (hopefully not too unreadable)
I am on Linux, and using GCC.