Cannot launch custom desktop app on gnome but it works fine with gtk-launch

Viewed 593

I install an application (Ghidra) without .desktop file.

So I created one myself and placed it to ~/.local/share/applications/Ghidra.desktop.

Gnome references it as an application in the show applications, but when I click on it, nothing happens.

So I tried to run gtk-launch Ghidra and it works fine this way.

this is my desktop file :

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Ghidra
Comment=Launch Ghidra
Icon=/opt/ghidra/Ghidra.png
Exec=/opt/ghidra/ghidraRun
Terminal=false
Path=/opt/ghidra
Name[en_US]=Ghidra

Anyone knows the issue here ?

Thanks

1 Answers

I had exactly this problem recently with another program, and was able to fix it by appending %u to the Exec key like so:

Exec=/path/to/program %u

This forwards a given URL to the program as parameter, as described here. I am not sure why this was needed in my case (as the program doesn't need any parameters to run) but it made it executable through Gnome.

Related