Attempt to install earlier version of the installed application causes error

Viewed 62

I have created a custom UI and provided the standard dialog boxes as required to avoid ICE20 errors. I have included the following line as required:

If I use a WIX UI this works fine. But now I've created my own custom UI I get an "unexpected error" message with error code 2814 and then one with 2869. Does anyone know how to catch the attempted downgrade to produce a dialog box with the correct message?

1 Answers

I am not an MSI dialog expert, but there are a few things I can point out:

  • You can customize the internal GUI built into an MSI.
  • You can also make your own GUI for Burn setup.exe launchers.
    • Burn GUIs can be more modern than the rather ancient MSI GUI.
    • A Burn launcher can hide the built-in MSI GUI during installation.

I am not sure what GUI you have customized?

Error 2814: The error code 2814: "On the dialog [2] the control [3] names a nonexistent control [4] as the next control." - this seems to indicate that a control on your dialog points to a non-existent control as the next one to go to for the TAB order of the dialog. You need to point to a valid control that exists and it should be visible too.

Custom MSI GUI: Making your own MSI GUI is rarely advisable unless you need something very specific and unusual. You can use existing dialog sets and just inject a new dialog (which might be what you have done). Due to the lack of flexibility for MSI dialogs I would recommend that you make a Burn setup.exe GUI if you really need a lot of flexibility. I have not looked at this a great deal.

WiX MSI Dialog Sample: There is a sample, modified WiX MSI dialog set here: https://github.com/glytzhkof/WiXCustomDialog


Links: I have a few links on MSI dialogs and Burn GUI. This is quite overlapping, please just skim and see what makes sense to you:


Other Links:

Related