I have a dataframe that contains text separated by a comma
1 a,b,c,d
2 a,b,e,f
3 a,b,e,f
I am trying to have an output that prints the top 2 most common combinations of 2 letters + the # of occurrences among the entire dataframe. So based on the above dataframe the output would be
(a,b,3) (e,f,2)
The combination of a and b occurs 3 times, and the combination of e and f occurs 2 times. (Yes there are more combos that occur 2 times but we can just cut it off here to keep it simple) I am really stumped on just how to even start this. I was thinking of maybe looping through each row and somehow storing all combinations, and at the end we can print out the top n combinations and how many times they occurred in the dataframe. Below is what I have so far according to what I have in mind.
import pandas as pd
from io import StringIO
StringData = StringIO("""Date
a,b,c,d
a,b,e,f
a,b,e,f
""")
df = pd.read_csv(StringData, sep =";")
for index, row in df.iterrows():
(somehow get and store all possible 2 word combos?)